Few pests are harder to get rid of once they have established themselves in your home. If you are tired of stumbling upon a swarm of ants on a regular basis, you will need to make a concentrated effort to keep these uninvited guests away.
* Shut down the Ant Buffet! The reason the ants are coming into your humble abode is because it is a free for all (at least it was at some point in the past, and they are hoping it might be again). The cleaner you keep your house the less they will have to eat, and the more they will look elsewhere for goodies.
* Squish the Scouts. Colonies regularly send out lone ants to look for food sources. If you see an individual ant strolling across the coffee table, don’t let it back to the colony alive. It will let the colony know where you spilled the apple juice. If the scout makes it back to the nest and brought back some friends, they will be following a scent trail single file.
* Seal windows, doors, and cracks the ants crawl through with caulk. An added benefit for this is better temperature control and lower energy bills.
* Bring down the nest. If ants continue to raid your home, you are going to have to raid theirs. If you are able to locate the nest, you can pour boiling water into it. If you don’t know where they are coming from, your alternative is to bait.
* Ants love aphids. Treat outdoor plants for aphids during the spring and summer months and ants will have less to hang around for.
If these tips don’t help, give a us a call at (816) 444-BUGS or visit our website at www.GunterPest.com.