Summertime is supposed to Be fun and carefree
But summer is also the time that fleas & ticks abound. Depending on the winter conditions, your pets and family can be host to numerous little bugs including fleas & ticks each summer. This problem can lead to health issues for you, your pets and your family.
Your family and pets are important to you, so it is necessary to be prepared when the flea and tick infestation begins.
A few facts about fleas and ticks
- Ticks are not bugs but come from the spider family.
- There are roughly 2,000 species of fleas in the world.
- There are approx. 800 species of ticks in existence.
- Fleas can jump up to 8 inches.
- Ticks can spread multiple diseases at the same time.
- Neither ticks or fleas can fly.
Fleas & Ticks Infographic To Share With Your Friends
The danger of fleas and ticks
They may be small creatures barely seen by the naked eye, but they can cause a lot of damage to you, your family’s and your pets’ health. Each year there are roughly 329,000 cases of Lyme disease in the US caused by ticks.
Fleas like to feed off the blood of animals and humans. This contamination can lead to serious health problems. For example, Rocky Mountain spotted fever is transmitted by fleas and ticks. These are just two of the many diseases that the flea and tick infestation can bring with them.
How to protect your family and pets
Before you get too scared of fleas and ticks, there are some common-sense ways to combat fleas and ticks. These common-sense methods help keep your family and pets protected from the diseases carried by both fleas and ticks.
- Keep away from wooded or bushy areas- these are the favorite nesting or resting areas for fleas and ticks.
- Treat your pets- there are some great flea and tick protection on the market today. Treating them about once a month should provide your favorite dog or cat with all the protection they need.
- Treat your home- we offer a great home treatment program that will help secure the premises.
- Treat your yard- this is another area we can help and our treatments will not harm your children or your pets. We also treat those pesky mosquitoes which spread heartworm to your dog or cat.
There are several methods you can use
To treat your home once you find some fleas or ticks inside you can use some of the following methods to kill them before they become a health problem
- Vacuum daily.
- Steam clean carpets.
- Wash all bedding for family members and pets.
- Always consult a professional.
Some Final Words
If you still are not sure how to protect your family and pets from the seasonal flea and tick infestation, please call Gunter Pest & Lawn. We will be happy to answer all of your questions.
Protecting the health of your family and pets is too important not to make that call.