Before we celebrate…Let’s talk about what IS Labor Day celebrating exactly?
Labor Day, the first Monday in September, is a creation of the labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country.
**We’d like to take a moment to celebrate the hard work of our staff. EVERY DAY the Gunter Pest & Lawn office and field staff commit themselves to a high level of service and trust when treating your homes and businesses, talking with you over the phone, ensuring your comfortability with each step in the process, etc.
**We’d also like to take a moment to celebrate three generations of Gunter family owners – Reggie Gunter, Norman Besheer, and Jay Gunter Besheer – for providing hundreds of jobs to Americans over the last 67 years since we first became a Kansas City family-owned business in 1950.
Looking to pack your end-of-summer weekend FULL of activities?? Below is a curated list we’ve created for the top events or ideas to check out this weekend for Labor Day Weekend in Kansas City!
Kansas City Labor Day Activities
- Oceans of Fun – Last chance before the park closes for the season!
- Open 11-7 Saturday and Sunday
- 4545 NE Worlds of Fun Dr, Kansas City, MO
- Schlitterbahn – Last chance before the park closes for the season!
- 9400 State Ave, Kansas City, KS 66112
- Fairway City Pool
- 6136 Mission Road, Fairway, KS 66205
- Boulevard Drive-In
- 1051 Merriam Lane, Kansas City, KS 66103
- Playing Incredibles 2, Ant-Man & The Wasp, Avengers Infinity, Smokey & The Bandit, Cannonball Run II
- $10 per person, cash only
- Twin Drive-In
- 1320 North 291 & Kentucky Road, Independence, MO 64055
- Playing Slender Man, The Meg, Christopher Robin, The Incredibles 2
- Kansas City Irish Fest
- Now celebrating for its 15th year, Kansas City Irish Fest is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to promoting the culture, music, character, and history of Ireland and of the Irish people who call Kansas City home.
- TEN stages of Irish Activity throughout the weekend
- Shop, Dance, Eat
- Single ticket = $7-$12. Weekend pass = $30
- SantaCaliGon Days Festival
- The 45th Annual SantaCaliGon Days Festival in Independence, Missouri, commemorates the origin of the Santa Fe, California, and Oregon trails during the country’s great westward expansion by early pioneers.
- Historic Independence Square, Independence, MO 64050.
- Starts: September 1, 2017 12:00 PM, Ends: September 4, 2017 5:00 PM
- Carnival, vendor booths, live music, authentic blacksmith, antique firetrucks
- Boat and fish at a local lake
- Both marinas offer boat rentals, including pedal boat, canoe, and kayak rentals.
- Shawnee Mission Park (Shawnee Mission Park Marina (located in Shawnee Mission Park at 7900 Renner Road, Shawnee, and Lenexa)
- Kill Creek Park (Kill Creek Park Beach and Marina at 11670 Homestead Lane, Olathe)
- Flicks on the Bricks – a City Market event featuring live music, food, drinks and more
- Friday’s Flick = Wayne’s World
- Royals vs Orioles – 7 pm game!
- Featuring summer fireworks!
- Worlds of Fun – $1 day!
- Select food, games & fun for $1
- KIDFEST at Science City
- A one-of-a-kind family-friendly day full of science play geared toward early childhood learning. Members get in FREE.
- 10-5pm at Science City, 30 West Pershing Road
- Labor Day Dash (5k/10k)
- Bodies Race Company, Lees Summit, MO 64081, 8-10am
- This fun Labor Day themed run is also part of the Bodies Healthy Holiday Fun Run Series. Be sure to arrive early for the free kids run, face painting and more!
- Labor Day Symphony in the Park
- The Theatre in the Park at Shawnee Mission Park, 7710 Renner Rd., Shawnee, Kan.
- 5 p.m. Gates & Bush and Jamie Helzberg Instrument Petting Zoo opens
6 p.m. Youth Symphony of Kansas City performs
7 p.m. Kansas City Symphony performs
We hope this gives you a few ideas to really make the most of our dear Kansas City this weekend. Have fun and BE SAFE this weekend, Gunter friends!